Moluccas: Volcano Adventure East-Indonesia
Trekking expedition to the undiscovered volcanoes of the Moluccas in East Indonesia
8 Days / 7 nights
- Start / End:
- Minimum number of participants:
- Best visit Period:
all year round, the rainy season is in the …, but is not a real obstacle for a trip to North Maluku.
- Please contact us for tour variations.
We will gladly adapt our programme to your wishes.
- Vacation styleAdults only
- Activity LevelModerate Fitness required
Go on a discovery tour: Our East Indonesia island tour is something different and offers insights into an island world still untouched by tourism. You will go on a discovery tour and experience two active volcanoes on the island of Halmahera.
Your fitness level: If you are of average fitness, this tour is ideal for you. However, you should be somewhat fit, as temperatures of over 30 degrees Celsius are a somewhat exhausting affair on their own. Be prepared for the fact that the tour can be strenuous at times, but will certainly not overtax you.
- 8 days individual round trip according to the description
- All activities will be individually organized for you and will be accompanied by a personal guide
- 7 overnight stays with breakfast in authentic accommodation far away from mass tourism (partly only tent or mattress camp on Days 2, 3 and 6 and partly without sanitary facilities)
- Meals as described
- All transfers (accompanied) from/to Ternate
- Your personal English-speaking guide/tour guide will accompany you on your entire journey and will be your contact person if you have any questions or requests
- On the days of each trek there is also a local helper who takes care of carrying luggage and equipment
- Travel insurance certificate
We recommend taking out travel insurance (travel health insurance, travel cancellation insurance).
- Upon arrival at Sultan Babullah Airport in Ternate, you will be welcomed by your personal guide, who will accompany you to your booked hotel (transfer ca. 60 min.).
- Depending on your arrival time, you can spend the rest of the day/ evening relaxing or exploring your surroundings before your volcano adventure begins the next morning.
- Dinner at the hotel (not included).
- After breakfast at the hotel, you will be picked up by your guide, who will take you to the harbour. From there, you will take the ferryboat to Halmahera Island (approx. 2 hours).
- Lunch is served in a simple restaurant on the way to your base camp near Mt. Ibu (included).
- Arrival at base camp is scheduled for the afternoon.
- Your simple accommodation (multiple occupancy/ mattress camp) is located in a coconut grove. Here, you will have the opportunity to get a glimpse into the local daily life as villagers pass by on the way to their gardens.
- For a little more privacy, as an alternative to the multiple occupancy accommodation, you can also book an overnight stay in a camping tent at no extra charge. The tent is provided for you.
- Take a refreshing bath in the clear Ibu river before a local dinner on the terrace of your accommodation (included) will be served.
- Overnight stay in the base camp at the foot of Mount Ibu, whose eruptions can be heard from afar.
- After a simple breakfast in the base camp, you proceed with a short transfer to the starting point of your tour where your trek to the crater rim of Mt. Ibu begins. The ascent takes about 5-6 hours including breaks. With a bit of luck you might also meet Wallace’s Giant Bee, an endemic bee species, that attracts attention with its loud buzzing and remarkable size. Your guide will accompany you and will be there for you at any time.
- You can look forward to having a simple lunch in the jungle along the way (included).
- In the afternoon you will reach your destination – the crater rim of Mt. Ibu. Under the guidance of your tour guide, you will set up your camping tent there (included).
- Simple dinner at the tent and overnight stay (included).
- During the night, you will have the unique opportunity to observe the eruptions of Mt. Ibu from your sleeping place (*as far as the current conditions allow).
- Depending on the local conditions, you will either be able to watch the sunrise directly from Mt. Ibu, or you can climb up to the caldera before sunrise to observe Ibu’s nocturnal eruptions* until after sunrise. Have your photo equipment ready for the eruption spectacle in 30 minute takt.
- Before you leave the crater rim behind, take a look around and enjoy the wonderful view of Halmahera’s vast jungle areas all the way out to the Halmahera Sea!
- Back at the tent camp, a simple breakfast awaits you. After breakfast, you will take down the tent and make your way back to base camp.
- After a short stop there to pack the rest of your belongings, you will continue to the next destination of your journey.
- Lunch is taken in a simple restaurant along the way (included).
- Overnight stay and dinner (dinner included) will be in Jailolo, a small harbour town.
- After breakfast in your accommodation, you will visit the local hot spring before continuing your journey to Tobelo by car with your guide (approx. 5 1/2 – 6 hours).
- Lunch will be taken during a break in one of the typical restaurants along the long road journey (included).
- Once arrived at your destination, you will have time for some relaxation and logistical preparations for your Dukono trekking.
- Dinner (included) in the restaurant of your accommodation and overnight stay.
- After breakfast in the guesthouse, your tour starts. The transfer by motorbike or car to the end of the trail at the foot of the Dukono mountain takes about one hour.
- Your trekking to the Dukono volcano is scheduled for 3 hours. Under guidance of your tour guide, you will set up your camping tent (included).
- You will stay overnight in a camping tent at the old caldera.
- Very simple meals are served for lunch and dinner (included).
- In the early morning, you will climb to the crater to see the lava and the sunrise. This is a unique opportunity to admire and photograph the spectacular eruptions at close range.
- Back at the tent, a simple local breakfast will be served.
- After breakfast and packing, you will return to Ternate by car (approx. 3 1/2 – 4 hours). Lunch will be served in a simple restaurant on the way to the harbour (included).
- The transfer to Ternate will be by speedboat and from there to the hotel by car. In the evening, dinner will be waiting for you there (not included).
- After breakfast at the hotel your guide will take you to the airport or port of Ternate. From there, your journey either back home or into a new adventure starts.
* Please note: Depending on the weather conditions, local conditions and your physical constitution and fitness, it may be advisable to pitch your tent on a suitable camping area below the edge of the volcano. This may affect the possibility to observe the night activity of Mt Ibu. It is at the sole discretion of your experienced tour guide to decide where to set up your camp.
- 1.149 EUR per person (based on 2 persons sharing accommodation)
- 1.499 EUR single traveller
This tour is not suitable for children.
Extend your Trip
…and explore destinations beyond the wonders of the Spice Islands. Extending a trip creates even more unique experiences and breathtaking moments for you and your travel companion. Combine your volcano experience with a cultural trip or beach vacation or even more adventure. Make your trip a unique experience and extend it to experience Indonesia east of the Wallace Line to the fullest.
Expand your Options
- Explore the legendary Spice Islands and immerse yourself in their enchanting culture and breathtaking landscapes.
- Explore the beautiful underwater world east of the Wallace Line.
- Experience more adventures in Halmahera or in the jungles of North Sulawesi.
- Or discover the sacred highlands of the Toraja in the south of Sulawesi.
Design your Tour
The above tour description is intended as a suggestion. The tour can be split or extended according to your wishes. We will be happy to adapt it to your individual wishes and ideas.
Just get in contact with us.
The prices are from/to the starting point of the tour. They include all services according to the respective tour description. Higher prices may apply especially during Indonesian holidays like Ramadan or Idul Fitri.
All prices are in Euro and per person based on 2 persons traveling together in a double room. Our terms and conditions apply.